What is currently known as Brock Road/Highway 6 South was the main artery leading from Dundas to John Galt's new settlement of Guelph established in 1827. Land surveyor David Gibson did two separate surveys from 1828 to 1832. Concessions I to VI on the west side of the Township run from east to west, parallel with the Gore to Wentworth County. Concessions VII to XI run northwest to southeast.
Natural heritage features in Puslinch played a role in settlement with the First Nations people who lived in this area, and later with the European settlers. As farmsteads filled in, the settlers built grist mills and sawmills from dams they created along the natural waterways.
As in the rest of Upper Canada, the first buildings here were constructed of logs. Once sawmills were in place, a second stage of building followed. Frame structures became common as villages expanded, and early log barns were replaced on farms with larger Swiss-style barns. Waterloo County, to the west of Puslinch, had been settled 30 years earlier and Puslinch farmers contracted to have barns built in the style of their Pennsylvania-German neighbours.
Tradesmen and merchants arrived with the European settlers, and a number of stonemasons were among those who settled in Puslinch. The Township was part of a ridge of igneous rock (granite) running from Eramosa through Puslinch to Waterloo County that provided the fieldstones for masons to construct the fine examples of Scottish, German, Irish and English masonry found here. They also used Southwestern Ontario layered limestone and sandstone from local quarries like that of John Howitt in northwest Puslinch. A dramatic rise in wheat prices during the Crimean War in the 1850s provided the capital for farm families in Canada West to build these next stages of architecture.
Take time to read the Puslinch Heritage Committee Mandate and visit the historic maps, natural heritage features and examples of Puslinch architecture found in these pages, with more to come. To see the complete inventory of Heritage Puslinch, visit the Township of Puslinch Office at 7404 Wellington Road 34.