Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip to content

Building and Zoning Frequently Asked Questions


Building Department
7404 Wellington Rd 34
Puslinch, Ontario N0B 2J0
Building Department Inquiries (519) 763-1226
Email the Building Department

Severances/subdivisions of property:

How do I sever one or more pieces off my property to sell or give to family members?

Land severance applications are administered by the County of Wellington. Contact the Planning Department at the County. 

Use of trailers, campers, and motor homes:

Can I park a camper, motor home, or other type of travel trailer on my vacant property and use it as a weekend "getaway"?

No. This is not a permitted use in any zone, except in a designated travel trailer park.


I wish to file a complaint about the condition of a property in my neighbourhood. Is there a certain procedure that I need to follow?

Yes, Township by-laws are enforced on a written complaint basis. Telephone calls will not be accepted. The complaint form must include your name, address and telephone number, or other contact information.

Failure to provide this required information will render the complaint incomplete and it will not be investigated. Your name will not be divulged unless your testimony is required in court. Where the Township has determined that a complaint has been filed for a malicious or vexatious reason or as part of an ongoing pattern of harassment, the Township may cease the investigation and close the file.

Civil matters:

The Township is often asked to become involved in matters over which we have no legal authority. Civil matters such as:

  • private right-of-way disputes,
  • trespassing, and
  • neighbour disputes over property lines, tree cutting, or fence locations are not within our jurisdiction.

If the matter can't be resolved between you and your neighbour, you may wish to consult legal counsel.

When should I expect a tax bill from my building permit?

Once your project has been completed, the Township will send completed permit, or occupancy permit information to the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC).  This will result in additional assessment being added to your property.  Property owners are cautioned that the full assessment of a property may not be determined by MPAC until well after the physical changes to a property have been completed.  This change can be backdated to the date of the change to a maximum of three years.  More information is on our property taxes frequently asked questions page, or please do not hesitate to contact the office.